Health Refs
Good to Know!
Keywords
10 Post(s) Found
Cell phone safety
If you use your cell phone for 17 minutes a day for 10 years, it is associated with a 60% increase in brain tumor risk accroding to reasearch by Joel Moskowitz, director of the UC Berkeley Center for Family and Community Health.Moskowitz published his study in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, showing that cell phone radiation can increase the risk...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Man who died of lung cancer says moral of story: "don't be an idiot"
Geoffrey Turner, 66 year-old man from Latham, New York died on Februrary 13. He used his obituary to warn other to not smoke, or quit if they are:"I was an idiot who made the same stupid decision, day-after-day, multiple times per day. I was a smoker and even though I knew it may eventually kill me, I chose to deny the truth to myself. The pain and suffering I caused my family was not worth the...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Bottom right corner of Nia Payne's left eye now contains cellular damage in the form of a crescent-shaped chip.
The issue was borrowing a pair of eclipse glasses that turned out to be fake, not providing the proper protection for her eyes.  As 26-year-old Nia Payne told TODAY, "The glasses seemed normal and I looked at the sky. I looked like everyone else”.  30 seconds of looking at the solar eclipse and about 6 hours later she noticed a black spot had formed in the middle of her left...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Health Department warns to keep your smartphone out of your pocket and away from your bed
California Department of Public Health (CDPH):"Although the science is still evolving, there are concerns among some public health professionals and members of the public regarding long-term, high use exposure to the energy emitted by cell phones," said CDPH Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith. "We know that simple steps, such as not keeping your phone in your pocket and...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Trader Joe's salads contaminated with bacteria, cause listeriosis
The USDA has issued a public health alert for bacteria contaminated Trader Joe's salads, labeled "TRADER JOE'S Broccoli Slaw & Kale Salad with White Chicken Meat", in 9.3-ounce plastic containers.  The ready-to-eat (so no rinsing) salads were shipped to Arizona, California, Nevada and Utah Trader Joe's stores, and had "Use by" dates of Oct. 10, 11, 12, and 13. ...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Tap Water Database: Check out what's in your tap water by zip code
Enter in your zip code and you can check EWG's Tap Water Database for contaminants detected above health guidelines and other detected contaminants.  Good reasons to opt for water filters.Since 2010, water utilities' testing has found pollutants in Americans' tap water, according to an EWG drinking water quality analysis of 30 million state water records.https://www.ewg.org/tapwaterWhat...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Brain-eating amoeba, Naegleria fowleri
Something to think about when whitewater rafting:A young woman died this week in Ohio after being infected by Naegleria fowleri, commonly called a brain-eating amoeba.Officials from the Franklin County Public Health Department confirmed that the 18-year-old died from amoebic meningoencephalitis, in which the membrane around the brain and spinal cord swells because of infection by...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (3)
Heartburn drug, PPIs, risks
Latest research highlights kidney failure and kidney disease as another potential risk from taking PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) - i.e. prescription and over-the-counter drugs taken for heartburn, such as Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium, Protonix, Aciphex, etc.  The study was released Thursday in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. Looking at data from the U.S....[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
4-year-old Nevaeh suffered brain damage after dentist sedation for a tool pull
Sedation for a tooth pull caused severe brain damage:HOUSTON --A 4-year-old girl went to a dentist to get a tooth pulled, and she's now in a hospital with severe brain damage. Her family is living a nightmare. They want to know how what should have been a simple procedure went so wrong.Two months ago, Nevaeh begged her mom to go to Chuck e Cheese. Now she's at a rehab hospital. The 4-year-old...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Baby Pwder, Shower to Shower, Johnson & Johnson
St. Louis, Missouri jury found Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder products linked to Jacqueline Fox's death from ovarian cancer at the age of 62 and awarded her family $10 million for actual damages and $62 million for punitivie damages.  It is the first verdict by a U.S. jury to award damages over the claims.  In October 2013, a federal jry in Sioux Falls also found that plaintiff's...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Report scrapbook by:
Report a concern
Comments: