Health Refs
Good to Know!
Keywords
5 Post(s) Found
Temporary blindness from one-eye smartphone viewing in dark
An article was published in "The New England Journal of Medicine" describing how you can get temporary vision loss, as found when getting the case history of a 22-year-old woman and 40-year-old woman.  The cause was pretty simple: lying down in bed on your side in the dark, looking at a smartphone, but only with one eye as the other eye is blocked by your pillow - when going back to using...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Unnecessary antibiotics = harmful
Got prescribed antibiotics?  CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) published new data in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) that at least 30 percent of antibiotics prescribed in the US are unnecessary.  This can prove to be not just not beneficial, but harmful, such as getting  Clostridium difficile, commonly known as "C-difficile" or...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Letting baby cry it out: lose/lose
Your baby can talk - you just have to learn their language until they learn to talk in yours.  This pediatrician article says it's a lose-lose situation for parents and babies if not responding to a cry and just ignoring it:By not responding to the cry, babies and parents lose. Here’s why:In the early months of life, babies cannot verbalize their needs. To fill in the gap until the...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Lori Jones post surgery causes belly button loss
45-year-old Lori Jones saved up to get rid of her "baby pooch" after having C-sections to "bring sexy back" and wear a 2-piece bathing suit - but the umbilical hernia removal and tummy tuck surgery results in her losing her belly button.  Jones said she did her research, had several consultations, and chose Houston surgeon Dr. Younan Nowzardan - known for performing gastric bypass...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
X-ray shows battery stuck in toddler's esophagus
An x-ray provided the problem and solution easily, but the path to it was not so easy, and could have had tragic results had it not been for the persistence 2-year-old Katie Smith's parents:"We thought she was choking on a cracker at first, but my husband checked her airways and she was breathing fine," [Christina] Smith told ABC News today. "But she was gagging, drooling and holding her saliva,...[ Read More... ]
Comments/Ratings (0)
Report scrapbook by:
Report a concern
Comments: